Study in Belgium


A land whose specialties include beers and delicate chocolates, Belgium is often perceived to be a little dull. The image that it’s simply a staid haunt for business executives and Eurocrats, or a gateway to the rest of Europe, reinforces that idea. But Belgiumis a prime destination if you’re interested in countryside, culture and history, served up alongside a huge proportion of highly acclaimed restaurants serving everything from haute cuisine to moules-frites or Belgian waffles.

Easy to travel around, this pocket-sized country is divided by the Flemish north (Flemish-speaking) and the Walloon south (French-speaking). The capital Brussels is the heart of the country and the European Union. Expanding outwards from the brilliant Gothic architecture of the Grand-Place, this cosmopolitan city contains numerous interesting museums and many fine eateries. The Manneken Pis statue is the place to pose for a photograph and laugh incredulously at others doing likewise.

International Management Institute (Brussels), Belgium
The International Management Institute (IMI) is an independent, privately held organization, dedicated to educating and training students through a unique cross-cultural approach. Through close lecturer – student contact and classes in small groups, it provides interactive teaching and quality academic programs to meet students’ individual needs. In small groups of fifteen to thirty, or working one-on-one with an instructor, students are discussing issues, sharing ideas, testing theories and enjoy all of the advantages of the institute’s truly international on-campus degree programs.

Visa Requirements for Belgium:

  • Long periods of residence in Belgium (at least 3 months)
  • Aliens coming to Belgium to study: General regulations governing higher education

In order to receive authorization for temporary residence, an individual planning to come to Belgium to study will be required to provide the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in his/her country with: a certificate of good conduct, a medical certificate and the following documents :

  • a duly completed application form (provided by the local diplomatic or consular authorities)
    an admission or enrolment certificate for one of the recognized higher education establishments, grant-maintained or organized by the authority, or an application for an equivalence certificate for a diploma or certificate conferred abroad (only required for French Community education). The entry certificate or enrolment certificate must cover a full-time course of study (fewer hours are acceptable if the interested party can prove that this course of study will represent his/her main activity and will be used to prepare or complement another full-time course of study)

  • or an enrolment certificate concerning examinations for entering university when these examinations represent the condition for admission to the course in question: particularly the examination testing knowledge of the French language which is required to be entitled to study in French-speaking universities; the examination of qualification for civil engineering studies; the entry examination for medical or dentistry studies at a Dutch-speaking university.

  • or an entry or enrolment certificate for a teaching establishment appearing on the list of approved establishments updated each academic year by the Aliens~ Office.

  • evidence that the person applying to study in Belgium has sufficient means of support. This evidence may be established by the following documents:

    • a certificate issued by either an international organization or a national authority, or by a Belgian or foreign legal person with a sufficient level of income. The certificate must state that the aspiring foreign student has received or will soon receive a grant or loan that is sufficient to cover his/her health care, subsistence, studies and repatriation expenses;

    • a declaration in respect of the Belgian State and in respect of the student, signed by a Belgian or alien with a sufficient level of income, in which the said person undertakes to accept responsibility for the subsistence, study and repatriation expenses of the foreign student for not less than one academic year

    • a medical certificate issued by a doctor approved by the embassy, stating that the foreign student is not suffering from certain illnesses and does not have certain disabilities.

if the interested party is over 21, a certificate of good conduct and a document certifying that he/she has not been convicted of any criminal act under common law. Visa applicants must be aware that the documents referred to only constitute the basic documents that have to be submitted in every case. Other additional documents may be required by the Belgian diplomatic or consular representation, taking into account the circumstances relating to the file or to the specific context of the applicant~s country of origin.

The interested party must obviously have a travel document (passport) valid for at least one year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.