Study in Denmark

Study Possibilities in Denmark
The Jutland peninsula and the four hundred surrounding islands that form one of Europe`s smallest countries once spawned a seafaring race of people feared throughout northwestern Europe.

Today, visitors to Denmark find a country that is peaceful, introspective, egalitarian and neutral. This is the epitome of a modern, civilized society, one especially noted for its progressive policies, widespread tolerance and liberal social welfare system.

Inland from the 4800km (3000 miles) of white-sand beaches and unspoiled islands, you�`ll find a landscape eminently suitable for cycling trips. Sleepy villages clustered around whitewashed churches occupy a landscape of rolling hills, heather moors and rich farmland dotted with windmills and thatched farmhouses. Ferries ply between the mainland and the many islands, competing with some awesome bridges like the 16km (10 miles) Øresund link to Sweden.

The nation that produced the great story-teller, Hans Christian Andersen, continues to have as its hallmarks good taste, world-class design and uniformly high standards that apply equally to its accommodation, cuisine and transport then add to this a people both amiable and helpful, with a facility for languages, and the result is an overwhelming sense of welcome.

From the spirited nightlife and lively cafe and music scene of its capital, Copenhagen, home to world-renowned museums and cultural activities (not least the splendour of the Tivoli Gardens), to a countryside that abounds in Renaissance churches, medieval castles and 18th-century fishing villages, Denmark is a synergy of many harmonious relationships.

Visa Regulations for Denmark
As a foreign national, you are required to have a residence permit in order to follow a higher educational programme in Denmark.


In order to be granted a residence permit you must document:

  • That you have been admitted to a higher educational programme which has been approved by a state authority or which is offered by a publicly accredited educational institution.
  • That you can support yourself for the duration of your stay in Denmark. If you are to pay a tuition fee, you must document that you have paid the tuition fee for the first semester or year, instead of documenting that you can support yourself.

  • That you can speak and understand the language of instruction and have a working knowledge of either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German. Your participation in the educational programme must have been arranged by a ministry or institution of higher learning or the educational programme must be part of a higher educational programme which you have already commenced in your country of origin. In other words, you may be granted a residence permit either in order to complete an entire educational programme or in order to follow part of a programme as a guest student.

How long are residence permits granted for?

The duration of your residence permit depends on whether you are going to complete an entire educational programme, or only follow part of a programme as a guest student.

1. If you are to complete an entire programme you will be granted a residence permit for the duration of the programme.

2. If, on the other hand, you are only to follow part of a programme, the residence permit will be granted for at maximum of two years.

It is a condition for the residence permit that you are active and enrolled in the educational programme. If this is not the case, the Immigration Service can revoke your residence permit. The educational institution is obliged to inform the Immigration Service if you are not actively following the educational programme.

Green Card Scheme
If you have been granted a residence permit in order to complete a higher educational programme in Denmark, your residence permit will be valid for an additional six months after you complete the programme. This is to allow you to look for work in Denmark.

If you complete a higher educational programme in Denmark and you have not previously been granted the additional six months~ residence permit, you can have your residence permit extended by six months by submitting an application for extension.

Are you allowed to work?
As a foreign student following a higher educational programme or a required preparatory course, you are allowed to work 15 hours a week, as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August. The same applies during the job-seeking period after the completion of your educational programme. A work permit sticker will be placed in your passport.

Consequences of working illegally
If you work illegally in Denmark, you risk deportation, and may be banned from re-entering the country again for a set period of time (usually one year). You also risk fine or imprisonment, as does your employer.

How to apply
If you wish to apply for a residence permit as a student, both you and the educational institution in Denmark must supply information for the processing of your application.

The application form contains a detailed description of how you and the educational institution should complete the form, and which documents you must attach. It is the educational institution in Denmark who begins the application process by completing his/her part of the application form and attaching the required documents. He/she sends or gives the form and attached documents to you. Then you complete your part of the form, attach the required documents, and submit the entire application.

Where to submit your application
Normally, you must have obtained a residence permit before entering Denmark. You can submit your application in your country of origin (or in the country where you have resided permanently for the past three months). In certain cases, it is possible to submit an application in Denmark, but this depends on your grounds for being in the country.

If you apply in your country of origin, you must submit your application at the Danish diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general). When you have completed and submitted the application form, the diplomatic mission will forward it to the Danish Immigration Service, where it will be processed.

If you have resided permanently in another country for the past three months, you can also submit your application at the Danish diplomatic mission in that country.

If there is no Danish diplomatic mission in your country of origin (or the country where you have resided permanently for the past three months), the Immigration Service may allow you to submit your application in another country.

When the Immigration Service has received your application for a residence permit, it will evaluate it along with the enclosed documentation. In addition, the Immigration Service will check to find out if you have been reported to the Schengen Information System (SIS). If the Immigration Service receives information that does not correspond with the information you provided, you will normally be asked to explain discrepancies before the Immigration Service rules in the case. Once the Immigration Service has received all necessary information relating to your application, it will rule in the case.

How do you receive the ruling?

If you submit your application from your country of origin (or other country of residence), the Immigration Service will send the ruling to the diplomatic mission where you submitted your application. The diplomatic mission will then forward it to your home address, or request that you pick it up in person.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.